SCIENTISTS TO EMPOWER CONSUMERS
350 SCIENTISTS AND 19 ASSOCIATIONS OPPOSE THE NUTRISCORE
176 Dutch scientists signed a document showing concerns over Nutri-Score
1 Dutch scientist – Stephan Peters – shows concerns about the effectiveness of the Nutri-Score on consumer purchasing behaviour in a supermarket
1 Dutch professor, Annet Roodenburg, Chair of the Dutch Academy of Food Science, criticizes Nutri-Score and waiting the result of the work of the International Committee says that there are several barriers to improve the algorithm.
8 Spanish Scientific Societies linked to the topics of Nutrition, Food and Dietetics grouped under the Federation FESNAD published a statement recalling that Nutri-Score does not have the endorsement of the scientific societies of the food sector in Spain.
23 Spanish scientists signed a paper on FOP highlighting – among other things – that the adequacy of a food to a diet depends on so many factors that it may not be possible to make it as simple as proposed by the Nutri-Score label.
67 Spanish scientists signed a scientific paper which collects the scientific reasons for the inappropriateness of the Nutri-Score to address the nutritional problems of today’s world
- nutriscore_manifiesto_razones.pdf (republica.com)
(9 of these scientists also signed the above mentioned paper)
1 Spanish an 1 French doctor criticized Nutri-Score in an interview
Other 10 Spanish doctors, scientists and health experts who made statements, articles, interviews criticizing Nutri-Score from different angles
- Juan Revenga: Nutri-Score: ¿un sistema para blanquear ultraprocesados? | El Comidista EL PAÍS (elpais.com)
- Miguel A. Lurueña: NutriScore es insuficiente: trucos de empresas para ‘engañar’ al sistema (hipertextual.com)
- Beatríz Robles: Qué es Nutri-score, el semáforo nutricional que penaliza al aceite de oliva (newtral.es)
- Luis Alberto Zamora: ¿Está Nutriscore preparado para ser aplicado? (lasexta.com)
- Carlos Ríos: Carlos Ríos denuncia los errores de Nutri-Score (womenshealthmag.com)
- Julio Basulto Marset: ¿Cuánto azúcar tienen los “alimentos” para menores de 36 meses? – Julio Basulto
- Antonio Escribano Zafra: Antonio Escribano Zafra: «No se puede hacer creer a la población que si no come carne va a estar mejor» – El Día (eldia.es)
- Amil López Viéitez: Una nutricionista advierte de que etiquetar con Nutri-Score los alimentos puede ser incongruente | Noticias de en Heraldo.es
- Rafael Urrialde: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6917904863771140096/
- Jorge Jordana: Jordana considera “irresponsable” introducir Nutriscore en España (agropopular.com)
19 Italian scientists signed a position paper on the voluntary nutritional labelling system NutrInform Battery where criticisms toward Nutri-Score are raised.
16 Italian scientists signed a paper focusing on the evidence suggesting that the NutrInform Battery can help consumers better than the Nutri-Score system to understand nutritional information, potentially improving dietary choices.
- Front-of-pack (FOP) labelling systems to improve the quality of nutrition information to prevent obesity: NutrInform Battery vs Nutri-Score – PubMed (nih.gov)
(1 of these scientists -De Lorenzo- also signed the above mentioned position paper)
2 Italian scientists signed a paper on why Nutri-Score cannot reduce the population’s cancer risk.
- C_17_pagineAree_5509_2_file.pdf (salute.gov.it)
(these two scientists signed also the paper above on FOP and obesity)
34 Italian scientists members of the Board and the Scientific Committee of the Italian Society of Human Nutrition (SINU) wrote a position statement on the FOPNL
- “Front-of-pack” nutrition labeling – Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases (nmcd-journal.com)
(3 of these scientists -Del Rio, Porrini, Riso- also signed the above mentioned position paper)
2 Italian scientists – Prof. Pirretta and Prof. Calabrese – have always supported NutrInform in opposition to Nutri-Score
7 Italian scientists have wrote an article on FOP and NCDs where they suggest that a new tool based on positive communication and that highlights the importance of the diet as a complex matrix
- Efficacy of front-of-pack nutrition labels in improving health status – ScienceDirect
(1 of these scientists -Donini- also signed the above mentioned position paper and another one – Pinto – is member of the Scientific Committee of SINU and signed the above mentioned study)
10 Italian scientific associations have expressed positions / have carried out studies that raise doubts on the effectiveness of the Nutri-Score (namely: CSRO, IO.net, Fondazione ADI, ADI, SISA, SISDCA, SINUPE, SIEDP, SIO, SINU)
1 Poland scientist, Prof. Dariusz Włodarek, Head of the Dietetics Department of the Institute of Human Nutrition Sciences of the Warsaw University of Life Sciences criticizes Nutri-Score as it is too much simplistic
5 French scientist/doctors/health experts interviewed on health matters, also criticized Nutri-Score
- Professor Philippe Legrand Interview with Professor Philippe Legrand: “Not all French experts agree on Nutriscore” (europeanscientist.com)
- Jean-Philippe Vuillez :JP Vuillez: “Cancer researchers need the freedom to work” (Interview) (europeanscientist.com) (he endorses Legrand’s opinion)
- Guy-André Pelouze: Will European holidays soon be under Nutri-Score’s watch? (europeanscientist.com)
- Jean de Kervasdoué: “La science est ludique et passionnante. Le public doit la redécouvrir.” Jean de Kervasdoué (Interview) (europeanscientist.com)
- Raphael Sirtoli: Interview with Raphael Sirtoli, co-founder of Nutrita: is FOP food labelling built on junk science ? (europeanscientist.com)
1 Portuguese institute (Instituto Nacional de Saude) published a study which results that Nutri-Score can be misleading