AI Gourmet: Overcoming Food StandardizationBY PIETRO PAGANINI
- 19 June 2023
- Posted by: Competere
- Categories: Empowering Consumers, highlights, News
The integration of artificial intelligence (AI) platforms and IoT tools offers extraordinary opportunities for making informed decisions about diet and lifestyle. With complex parameters and real-time information, we can personalize our nutrition. However, it is crucial to maintain a critical mindset when using AI to preserve conscious choices free from external ideological and commercial influences.
WHY IT’S IMPORTANT
Furthermore, it will encourage us to make more rational and considered decisions.
However, if AI is not properly regulated, it could become a dangerous tool that limits our freedom of choice and controls our actions.
AI enables us to recognize each individual’s deepest diversities to better personalize our decisions regarding diet (personalized diet) and lifestyle. Such diversities are a wealth that we have ignored so far in favor of more universal approaches (one size fits all) or simply due to a lack of adequate tools that we haven’t been able to grasp.
HOW OUR CHOICES CHANGE
- An application equipped with a complex algorithm, considering numerous elements such as our vital parameters (physical and psychological), the surrounding environment, and the activities to be carried out, will suggest the calories and nutritional composition to consume.
- We won’t worry if the nutrients are not available in the pantry or fridge since they can be delivered as soon as we get out of bed.
- The application will be able to know what we have at our disposal, what is about to expire or what is missing, and act accordingly by making necessary orders.
THE MACHINE EVOLVES BY LEARNING
- Finally, we will be able to personalize our diet and lifestyle based on a wide range of parameters that we didn’t have access to before.
- Our choices will be conscious, rational, and based on greater knowledge, making them free choices.
- What we are suggested to eat, including calories and nutrients, can be influenced by factors external to our lifestyle.
- The consumption of certain foods or ingredients can be manipulated by public policies, industrial policies, or simply commercial decisions made by private entities, such as supermarkets that provide food products.
- If we don’t actively participate —consciously— in the decision-making process, for which AI is a tool, we risk degeneration, and over time, we will lose synapses and neurons.
In this case, who makes the choice: us with the support of the machine or external factors through our application?
THE CRITICAL SENSE
Image credit: Todd St. John, courtesy of the NYT >>>