Agrifood raw materials: Competere heard at the Italian SenatePRESS RELEASE
- 13 July 2022
- Posted by: Competere
- Category: Senza categoria
On 13 July, Competere.eu was audited at the Italian Senate’s Agriculture Committee in the context of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) reform. We filed a statement analysing the dynamics of global supply chains for vegetable oils, with particular reference to the supply of certified sustainable palm oil.
>> Watch the hearing here (in Italian) <<
A STRATEGIC PLAN FOR FOOD COMMODITIES, MONITORING AND INCREASED COLLABORATION TO ENSURE STABILITY AND WELFARE
In spite of the trends and ideologies that for years have led to unjustified boycott positions towards palm oil, the market and consumers have growing confidence in a supply chain that operates under the banner of transparency and applies innovative rules and processes that allow the product to be increasingly sustainable. Indeed, it demonstrates that the only alternative to palm oil is palm oil certified as sustainable. Of the approximate 289,000 tons of palm oil for food use imported from Italy, in 2021, 95% is certified sustainable by the Round Table for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and the remaining 5% complies with the No Deforestation No Peat No Exploitation (NDPE) guidelines.
In this scenario, Competere proposed to the Parliament to:
- promote a strategic plan for food commodities that can outline the medium to long term guidelines for supply;
- produce a monthly food commodities report to monitor and assess supplies and price dynamics, thus counteracting possible speculation;
- encouraging policies of collaboration with producer countries to improve the resilience and sustainability of supply chains, establishing solid relationships with suppliers, so as to guarantee stable flows for companies and improve socio-economic and political conditions in friendly countries